Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Past

I decided to write out my past to get a better handle on the future.  This entry will be a work in progress. 


My husband and I started trying to conceive after our one-year wedding anniversary.  I always thought I might have problems because my mother and sister had fertility issues.  

After one year of trying and no success, we were referred to a Reproductive Endocrinologist.  She recommended IUI.  We got pregnant, but they were not able to see the sac and decided to give me methotrexate to stop a potential ectopic. 

During our 3 month wait after the methotrexate was administered, I had my fallopian tubes tested (Hysterosalpingogram/HSG) to make sure they were both open.  During this time, my insurance company dropped my RE, so I had to change insurance providers in order to keep her, but I lost my gynecologist because she was no longer in my plan...  My new gynecologist performed the HSG and it now showed both tubes closed.  I was crushed to think that we could never have a child naturally.  Our RE said the procedure was performed incorrectly and the die was inserted too quickly into the tubes which caused them to spasm.  My Gyne did not agree and would not perform the test again and my insurance would not allow the my RE to perform the HSG so we moved forward with IVF.    

IVF
I started taking birth control pills to get my body ready for an IVF cycle.  On Day 3 of your period, you go in to the clinic so they can draw blood to check your FSH, Estrogen, LH and perform a vaginal ultrasound to make sure you do not have a cyst, your lining is thin and you do not have a dominant follicle.  After I was cleared to go, they started me on Follistim and Menopur.  After three days on meds, you come in for monitoring.  They check to make sure your follicles are growing uniformally and your lining is beginning to build.  My body did not respond to the drugs at all.  After increasing Follistim to 600 units and several monitoring appointments later - my cycle was cancelled because I did not have at least 3 follicles.  I was crushed.  



The good - my DH learned how to mix drugs and give me shots. 


After a few early cancellations due to a dominant follicle, my RE finally found a protocol I responded to.  Most often these protocols are a crap shoot.  I was happy to be their guinea pig.  I so badly want to be a mom.  At egg retrieval they extracted 6 follicles - 4 were good and one was empty.  The next day, the embryologist called and we learned that only one made it and they wanted to do a 3 day transfer.  I was crushed.  My body appeared to be performing as though it were 40+ years old. 

After learning the cycle failed, we came in for a consult and my RE informed me she thought I was going into menopause and I would never produce more than 6 follicles.  She said my eggs are dark, fragmented and difficult to penetrate.  She suggested I consider donor egg, but would treat me with my own eggs if I wanted to try again.    

I thought I might have trouble, but this was more than I expected.  I began reading everything I could on poor responders and learned that some women develop a lead follicle that tells all the rest to stop growing.  I also heard about DHEA, a supplement that helped a colleague of mine go on to have twins.  Both ideas were discounted by the RE.  I began wondering if maybe I needed a second opinion.  



After several months of bad care, not having a plan for next steps and no hope I decided to see another Dr. within the same office.  This was a little weird, but everyone assured me it was normal and lets be real - you never see the docs.  


To be continued...
      
IVF # 1 July '09
cancelled due to poor response
IVF August '09
No BC - cancelled due to dominant follicle
IVF September '09
Stims: 600 Follistim and 2 Menopur powders
6 follicles viewed ER: 4 and 1 was empty - found to be dark and fragmented ET: 1 day 3
BFN

IVF #2 October '09
Lupron 600 Follistim and 2 Menopur
cancelled -dominant follicle

Changed ER and added 75mg of DHEA daily

IVF February '10
Saizen protocol, follistim, menopur, dexamethasone, baby asprin and folic acid
E1515 Prior to trigger - 14 follicles ER: 7 eggs retrieved - 4 fertilized ET: Day 3 (1) 8 cell; (1) 6 cell no frag or darkness Beta: 22 P: 8.6
Chemical pregnancy BFN

IVF #3 May '10
same protocol
5/10 begin stims - prior to trigger E 2274 - 10 follicles measuring 15+, 5/20 ER: 7 eggs retrieved
5/21 (4) were matures and were ICSEd and (2) fertilized 5/23 ET Beta: 3 BFN


1 comment: